Blogging for Mike Stagg

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Debating Torture

I've been working trying to come up with a post about the current debate on torture, the pro and anti side, and the emerging compromises on our honoring the Geneva accords.

Then I did a double take.

The United States Senate is debating whether or not the President ought to be able to authorize torture.

The American President.

My President.

A debate in the Senate.

With a compromise being worked out in this or that committee.

On Torture.

It is unbelievable; it is outrageous; it is so profoundly wrong that it is difficult to know what to say and impossible to find an adequate way to say it.

I can say this: That we've even gotten to the point where where it's under discussion is as shameful a betrayal of the United States as I can imagine.

And I am personally ashamed that I even considered joining the "debate." The appropriate reaction is indignant, patriotic, condemnation.

There can be no compromise.

3 Comments:

  • Well put. I can add nothing of substance. I can only add my concurrence.

    David Hays
    Grand Coteau

    By Blogger GumboFilé, at 9/27/2006 12:32 PM  

  • I am likewise disgusted, and frankly shocked. We prosecuted Japanese after WWII for the practice of waterboarding American POW's, and now it has become evident that the practice has been going on in American prisons (most notably Guantanamo), and apparently is now condoned by our Congress and emphatically, and I would aver disturbingly excitedly, backed by the White House. The bill completely dismisses almost the entire Bill of Rights.

    By Blogger Phillip, at 10/19/2006 1:52 PM  

  • Phillip,

    Thanks for your remarks. It is really a sad moment in our history.

    (Nice blog, by the way. If you'd like a "I'm With Mike" badge for it I can get you one.)

    By Blogger John, at 10/21/2006 12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home