Blogging for Mike Stagg

Friday, July 21, 2006

John's "Why I'm working for MIke"

Why volunteer for Mike Stagg's campaign?

Well, I’m working for Mike Stagg's campaign to win back the 7th district for the people of Southwest Louisiana.

It's that simple for me.

I think Mike's the man for the job. I worked with him during the Lafayette Fiber To The Home referendum and came away impressed. Mike helped run that successful grassroots campaign. When we got started the "smart money" said that Lafayette couldn't win against the sort of resurces wealthy and powerful corporations like BellSouth and Cox could pour into the contest. The smart money was wrong. The referendum passed 62 to 38 percent in spite of the continued and often deceptive campaign run by the incumbent corporations. That taught me a lesson: smart grassroots campaigning can win.

That campaign showed me that Mike's smart and willing to work like a dog for things that will really help people. He's got a talent for finding the right questions, digging to find real solutions instead of the easy answer, and then grinding away until those solutions are made real.

The 7th district doesn't have someone who represents us right now--and we need one. The people of southwest Louisiana have been through a lot over the last year and we need a congressman whose loyalties aren't divided between his party, his corporate PAC supporters, and finally his constituents. We need a representative who owes his election to nobody but the people of the district.

Anybody who knows Mike knows he doesn't avoid the tough issues or mealy-mouth about them. That's the kind of representative I want. Mostly I even agree with him. For a change, I'm looking forward to having someone to vote for!

I'm with Mike!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home